This week read about transgender entrepreneur Nur Sajat fascinating Malaysia, and LGBT people facing psychological stress in Ghana.

Trans Tycoon Fascinates Malaysia

Nur Sajat, a renowned Malaysian transgender entrepreneur, was imprisoned in Thailand last week due to an expired passport, and she quickly rose to the top of Twitter's trending topics.

According to AsiaOne, after being accused of disrespecting Islam by masquerading as a woman, the 36-year-old Muslim cosmetics entrepreneur vanished from Malaysia in February.

While on the run, she continued to publish TikTok videos marketing her items and appeared on Instagram, sometimes on a live feed talking with her followers.

Last week, she was charged with immigration violations in a Thai court and freed on bond.

Malaysian authorities are now attempting to extradite her to the nation, raising concerns about her safety in a country that does not recognize LGBT rights.

Sajat has become a household figure in Malaysia thanks to her fortitude in living as an openly transgender woman and her commercial success.


LGBT Activists In Ghana Face Hardships


 A Ghanaian police officer on patrol. Photo via Facebook.

Human Rights Watch warned that arbitrary arrests and detentions of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender persons in Ghana, as well as a planned anti-LGBT bill, are creating significant economic hardship and psychological stress for LGBT people.

According to the Human Rights Watch, at a paralegal training session about documenting and reporting human rights abuses against LGBT persons in Ho, Ghanaian police, supported by security personnel, stormed and unjustly detained 21 individuals, including a technician. They were held for 22 days before being freed on bond and facing charges of illegal assembly, a misdemeanor. The case was eventually dropped due to a lack of proof of a crime.

"It is shocking that the police who should be protecting Ghanaians raided a peaceful meeting, arrested the participants, and subjected them to three weeks in harsh detention conditions on a charge that never should have been brought in the first place," said Wendy Isaack, LGBT rights researcher at Human Rights Watch.