A hypocrite, according to the dictionary, is “a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion and who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings.”
It looks as if hypocrisy has engulfed the GOP.
I wish I could sit with any of them and say: "Don't lie to yourself. You know your defense of the current president comes down to one thing only: partisanship. Not morality. Not justice. No ethics. No empathy. Nothing but a void.”
After that I would give them a very simple test, a series of questions that start with: “What if Obama…”
Let's play the game:
1) What if Obama was caught on video describing his attempt to seduce a married woman and indicating he might start kissing a woman that he is about to meet by saying, “I don't even wait. And when you're a star, they let you do it. You can do anything ... Grab ‘em by the pussy. You can do anything.”
2) What if Obama had paid a porn star $130,000 in hush money to hide an extramarital affair? Does anyone remember Gary Hart?
3) What if Obama had ever asked a foreign government on a transcribed call to dig up dirt on a Republican political rival during his presidency? There’s no doubt Republicans would have called for his impeachment.
4) If President Obama had ever withheld military aid in a poorly hidden attempt to pressure said foreign government into helping his reelection, Republicans would have outright revolted.
5) What if Obama had said the following words about POW Sen. John McCain: "He's a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren't captured."
6) What if Obama bragged he could get away with murdering someone in the middle of Fifth Avenue in Manhattan and not lose a single voter? (But can he get away with letting tens of thousands die of the Coronavirus on Main Streets across America?)
7) What if Obama mocked a reporter with a disability on national TV?
8) What if Obama had agreed to let Turkey invade Syria and massacre our Kurdish allies?
9) What if Obama had promised to release his tax returns before being elected, but then actively refused to divulge his financial records well into his third year in the White House?
10) What if Obama ignored the intelligence report that Russia secretly offered Afghan militants bounties to kill U.S. troops?
11) And so on and so forth, extending executive power, repressing efforts to hold the government accountable, equating dissension to treason, manipulating elections, firing those who disagree, you can fill the pages of this newspaper.
In the meantime the silence from the GOP is deafening, and Foxymoron News cheers him on. Remember he also said he wouldn't mind being president for life. His malfeasant miscalculations have already burdened our health care system with over one-quarter of the entire world's COVID-19 cases.
The sad irony is that he wants all the power but no responsibility.
And in closing here is one more of Donald J. Trump’s gems: "You know, it really doesn't matter what [the media] write as long as you've got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass.”
This is your president.
P.S. WHAT IF GOV. ANDREW CUOMO HAD BEEN PRESIDENT AT THE BEGINNING OF THE COVID-19 OUTBREAK? IMAGINE.
Pier Angelo was born in Italy, moved to England at the age of 17 and learned English at the Nelson School of English. He attended college and graduate school in Manhattan. In 2009 he founded SFGN with Norm Kent. Now he’s retired with his husband Tom and his Affenpinscher Cabbage. He still enjoys writing his column Off The Wall for SFGN.