Over a year after the massacre that took the lives of 49 people and injured 53 others, the nightclub where it all took place is reopening.
Pulse nightclub owner Barbara Poma told WFTV that she is looking for a new site to open her nightclub, to “make sure hate doesn’t win.”
“Pulse is going to reopen [in a new place],” she said, “By reopening it, same name, same format that we had, it just proves, you know, that hate will not win. We will not let him win.”
Orlando Torres, a survivor of the attack, agreed saying “It’s something to start new memories, as we’ve created many memories here at the old Pulse.”
Pulse nightclub faced the worst mass shooting on U.S. soil in recent history on June 12 of last year. Many victims were members of the LGBT and Latinx communities. The site has been closed down ever since the attack, with tributes placed outside the club.
The city attempted to buy the club and turn it into a public memorial site, but Poma rejected the bid so she could open her own memorial.
As for the original Pulse location, there will be a town hall meeting in a few weeks to decide what the memorial will become. “It will be something other than a nightclub,” said Poma. “Whatever structure, space, my hope for it, is eternity.”