It’s been almost a year since Rene Chalarca and Dmitry Logunov were brutally attacked at the close of Miami Beach’s annual Pride event.
The alleged attackers quickly turned themselves in but the cases, now almost a year old, are still pending.
“The defense has been taking depositions as has my prosecutor of the numerous witnesses. There are more [depositions] to schedule and complete that need to be coordinated,” said Terry Gonzalez-Chavez, a spokesperson for the Office of the State Attorney. “Please know that our prosecutor speaks to the victims on a near monthly if not more frequently basis.”
For Logunov, 33, though justice can’t come soon enough. He’s frustrated with the lack of progress.
“I get the impression like it’s not important,” Logunov said. “Of course their lawyer is trying to postpone it as much as he can. The state lawyer’s said right away it might take longer, but it freaks me out a bit that [our attackers] might be just as free as before.”
Russell Cormican, a long time defense attorney in Broward, said postponement is a common used tactic by the defense.
“Delaying a case is almost always beneficial to the defense,” he said.
The attack occurred outside the 6th Street public bathroom in Lummus Park in Miami Beach on April 8.
“We were walking and holding hands and needed to use the bathroom,” Logunov told SFGN last year. So the two of them stopped at public restroom as they headed home for the evening.
As Logunov walked out of the restroom he was called a “faggot” in Spanish, punched, and then beaten unconscious. His boyfriend, Chalarca, quickly intervened, but three more men jumped in and began to attack him as well.
“This was my first time going to gay parade,” Chalarca, 33, said last year.
Physically they’ve both recovered.
The alleged attackers are Juan Carlos Lopez, Luis M. Alonso Piovet, Adonis Diaz, and Pablo Reinaldo Romo-Figueroa.
The attack was caught on camera and the four suspects have been charged three counts of aggravated battery and a hate crime enhancement was added to the charges.