The attack happened in April 2018. Two people were randomly attacked in a bathroom after the annual Pride Parade in Miami Beach.

Four young men were arrested and charged. Since then there’s been a global pandemic, two presidential impeachments, an election, and an insurrection. What there hasn’t been is a trial and there won’t be one until nearly Halloween.

Luis Manuel Alonso-Piovet, Pablo Reinaldo Romo-Figueroa, Juan Carlos Lopez, and Adonis David Diaz have delayed their day in court for more than four years and counting. Last week the judge set a trial date for late October.

Over the years there have been hundreds of motions, hearings, depositions, scheduling conflicts, and other glacially slow legal maneuvers. All this can work in the defendants’ favor. Memories fade over time, and any change to someone’s original story in the police report could be used to damage their credibility (one of the victims wasn’t deposed until three years after the attack).

Attack Caught On Camera

Here’s a recap of what allegedly happened: the attack took place when Rene Chalarca and Dmitry Logunov were leaving a public bathroom in Lummus Park in Miami Beach on April 8, 2018.

“We were walking and holding hands and needed to use the bathroom,” Logunov told SFGN in 2018. So the two of them stopped at a public restroom as they headed home for the evening.

As Logunov walked out of the restroom he was allegedly called a “faggot” in Spanish, punched, and then beaten unconscious. His boyfriend at the time, Chalarca, quickly intervened, but three more men jumped in and began to attack them both.

The attack was caught on camera and the four defendants have been charged with three counts of aggravated battery and a hate crime enhancement was added to the charges.

Earlier this year the defendants asked to have the case dismissed, citing Florida’s “Stand Your Ground” law, which says if you’re being attacked, you can fight back. The judge in the case, Ariana Orshan, rejected their claim.

She said she watched the video many, many times and saw no evidence that the defendants were the ones being accosted.

Attack Shocked South Florida LGBT Community

Happening less than two years after the Pulse Nightclub massacre in Orlando, the LGBT community was still on edge when this attack took place. The victims in this case are forced to relive the event with every scheduled motion and hearing date.

The next hearing will take place in October. While a trial is scheduled, it remains unclear if it will actually happen.


BLOG COMMENTS POWERED BY DISQUS