This article discusses the recent meetings of the three HIV planning and advisory bodies in Broward: the Broward County HIV Prevention Planning Council (BCHPPC), the Broward HIV Planning Council (HIVPC), and the South Florida AIDS Network (SFAN). The BCHPPC is the planning body for HIV prevention in Broward. The HIVPC is the planning body for the Ryan White Care (RWC) Program of Broward (Broward-RWC). SFAN is the advisory body for the RWC program of the Florida Department of Health in Broward.

On January 1, 2018, the second year of Broward County’s current Five-Year Plan began. That plan integrates prevention and treatment services.

The Broward HIV Prevention Planning Council met on January 18, 2018.

Martha Duarte, Florida Department of Health-Broward (DOH-Broward), reported on the changing HIV epidemic in Broward. HIV diagnoses have increased among Latinx adults, relative to other racial groups. Among all adults newly diagnosed with HIV in 2016, the percent of Latinx adults rose above that of White adults. Among all adults newly diagnosed with HIV, the percent of Latinx adults has almost doubled since 2007.

Nicky Montgomery (DOH-Broward) reported on the Test and Treat program that links people to HIV treatment within 24 hours. That program began May 1, 2017. As of December 27, 2017, 664 clients have enrolled in the program. Of those enrolled, 44.1 percent were newly diagnosed. The other 55.9 percent had been in treatment, but providers had failed to retain them in care.

Joshua Rodriguez (DOH-Broward) reported that Broward receives 14 million dollars in HIV prevention and treatment funding. He reported that the AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) serves 5,283 people living with HIV in Broward.

The Broward HIV Planning Council met on January 25, 2018.

This planning council elected Requel Lopes as its new chair and Carla Taylor-Bennett as its new Vice-Chair. Each candidate had run unopposed.

The HIV Planning Council can move money between service categories. It decides what to move based on use patterns and its priorities. It voted to move $78,000 to Ambulatory Care from Case Management, Substance Abuse, Medical Case Management, Mental Health, and Legal Assistance.

Leonard Jones (Broward-RWC) reported that the January government shutdown had minimal impact on Broward-RWC. An agreement on a short-term budget fix quickly resolved the shutdown. Jones noted that these short-term budget fixes have negative consequences. They result in the inability to plan for the long-term and the partial awarding of federal grants.

SFAN met on February 1, 2018.

Michael Ruppal, the Florida HIV/AIDS Advocacy Network, reported on new threats to the Affordable Care Act (ACA). The Governor of Idaho has issued an order that threatens the ACA in other states. That governor has ruled that insurance policies in Idaho do not have to follow ACA regulations. That ruling could allow insurance companies to cap lifetime expenses or to bar coverage for pre-existing conditions. If the Federal Government fails to challenge this order, other GOP governors could do the same.


Jersey Garcia, DOH-Broward, has requested feedback on its HIV website ( People should send any comments or criticisms to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

The MSM Advisory Group is seeking new members. This advisory group provides guidance on the issues of gay, bi, and other men who have sex with men. If interested, contact Mark Reyes (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.).

The next SFAN Meeting will be on Thursday, March 1, 2018 at 6:00 p.m., at the Holy Cross Healthplex, 1000 NE 56th Street, Ft. Lauderdale.

The HIVPC will not meet in February.

The next Broward HIV Prevention Planning Council meeting will occur on April 19, 2018 from 1:30 to 4:30 in the Administrative Building – First Floor Auditorium. 780 SW 24th Street.


Follow Sean McShee on Twitter @SeanMcShee