While “Taste the Rainbow” may be the catchphrase for Skittles commercials, this time of year you may want to co-opt it for your next Pride celebration. As I motor up to D.C. for the Equality March for Unity and Pride, here are a few of my favorite recipes for rainbow-themed dishes.
This simple rainbow sangria is refreshing. For the best presentation use tall glasses layered with fruit, or place each piece of fruit on a skewer and use as a garnish.
This drink is festive and fruity, just like a Pride parade.
- • 1 bottle of dry white wine (pinot grigio or cheninblanc)
- • 2 liters lemon lime soda
- • 1 quart apple juice
In a large pitcher, combine all ingredients.
In a tall glass layer the fruit: purple grapes, blueberries, kiwi or honeydew, pineapple chunks, mandarin orange segments and raspberries.
Pour the wine over the fruit until the fruit is covered.
Refrigerate the drinks for at least 15 minutes to let the flavors infuse.
You can make the potatoes ahead (or buy purple potato chips) and assemble this dish just before serving. It makes a festive centerpiece.
1 lb. purple potatoes
1 bag, blue corn chips
3 avocados sliced
24 oz. grated cheddar cheese
3 orange bell peppers, seeded and chopped
24 oz. tomato-based salsa
chopped cilantro, sliced jalapenos and sour cream for topping
- • Preheat oven to 425° F
- • Peel and slice potatoes thinly, fry (or coat with cooking oil spray and bake on non-stick pads) until crisp. Blot and drain well.
- • Line the bottom of an oven proof platter with the potatoes.
- • Top with a layer of corn chips.
- • Top with slices of avocado.
- • Top with a liberal coating of grated cheddar.
- • Top with chopped orange bell peppers.
- • Bake 5-10 minutes or until all cheese has melted.
- • Remove from oven and top with salsa. Serve with desired toppings.
Note: Feel free to augment this recipe with other foods in the same color family; purple onions, guacamole, corn, diced carrots, cherry peppers, just watch the moisture content of the toppings to avoid soggy chips.
Rainbow Crepe Cake
Colorful and delicious, this can be made days ahead and stored covered with plastic wrap. Slice into 1” wide pieces. Delicious with fresh fruit salad.
- • 1 c. whole milk
- • 1/2 c. heavy cream
- • 1 c. all-purpose flour
- • 1/4 c. powdered sugar
- • 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- • 4 large eggs
- • 3 tbsp. butter, melted
- • rainbow food coloring
- • 2 packages cream cheese, room temperature
- • 4 oz. heavy cream
- • ¼ cup powdered sugar
- • ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- • In a blender, combine milk, heavy cream, flour, powdered sugar, salt, eggs and butter. Blend until mixture is smooth and foamy. If possible, let batter sit for 15 minutes at room temperature (or up to overnight in the fridge).
- • Divide the crepe batter into 6 bowls (one for every color), and dye each bowl of batter a different color of the rainbow.
- • Heat a medium nonstick skillet or crepe pan over medium heat.
- • Lightly coat the pan with butter or vegetable oil.
- • Add about one-quarter to one-third cup of batter and swirl the pan so that the batter completely covers bottom of skillet.
- • Cook until the bottom of the crepe is set, 2 to 3 minutes.
- • Use a rubber spatula to loosen the edge of crepe and then flip it over.
- • Cook the other side for 30-40 seconds.
- • Flip onto a plate and lightly brush with melted butter
- • Repeat with remaining batters, adding more butter or oil to the pan as necessary.
- • Each color batter should yield about 4 crepes.
- • Allow crepes to cool while preparing the filling.
- • Place cream cheese, heavy cream in a stand mixer bowl.
- • Using the whisk attachment, blend cream and cream cheese.
- • Turn mixer to lowest setting, add powdered sugar and vanilla.
- • Whisk until blended.
- • Turn beater to medium high and beat until soft peaks form.
- • Place one purple crepe on a cake plate.
- • Using an offset spatula, cover with a thin layer of cream cheese mixture, leaving a 1/4” border.
- • Cover with another purple crepe and repeat to make a purple stack.
- • Repeat process adding other colors.
- • Cover with plastic wrap and chill 2-3 hours or overnight.