The Williams Institute, an LGBT think tank, released a report estimating 11.3 million adults in the U.S. identify as LGBT, which amounts to about 4.5 percent of the population.
Other statistics include:
– 58 percent female, 42 percent male.
– Average age of the LGBT population is 37.3 years, average age of the non-LGBT population is 47.9.
– 58 percent white; 21 percent Latinx; 12 percent black; 5 percent mixed race; 2 percent Asian; 2 percent Native Americans (including Alaskan, Hawaiian and Pacific Islanders)
The report also includes a state by state breakdown. The area with the highest percentage of LGBT individuals is the District Of Columbia with 9.8. The state with the highest percentage is Oregon at 5.6 with North Dakota at the other end of spectrum at 2.7 percent.
Meanwhile in Florida 4.6 percent identify as LGBT with 24 percent of those people having children.
Other Florida statistics include:
– 52 percent female, 48 percent male.
– Average age of the LGBT population is 35.9 years, average age of the non-LGBT population is 51.3.
– 50 percent white; 30 percent Latinx; 12 percent black; 5 percent mixed race; 3 percent all other races.
The report also shows how LGBT people are more likely to be unemployed (11 to 6 percent), uninsured (21 to 15 percent), and food insecure (27 to 21 percent) than their straight counterparts.