UPDATE: One Dead, 5 Hospitalized In Carbon Monoxide Poisoning In Wilton Manors

User Rating: 5 / 5

Star ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar Active
 

Bel Ilse, Wilton Manors (wiltonmanors.com)

One man and two dogs are dead, and a woman, child and three other men are being treated for exposure to carbon monoxide in Wilton Manors, fire rescue officials said Monday.

A car was left running in the garage of a Belle Isle town home in the 2200 block of Northeast Ninth Avenue about 7:30 a.m. said Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue Deputy Chief Tim Heiser.

Two neighbors noticed the car running and went inside to check on the family and started giving CPR to one person as firefighters arrived, he said.

"A firefighter noticed that there were also two deceased dogs in the living room and that's when they realized it was a hazardous materials scene," Heiser said. "They put on their protective equipment, they entered the house and they did find a couple more victims within the house."

A neighbor, who only identified himself as Tom, said the victims were a family that had just returned from a trip.

The husband, wife and a girl, believed to be about 9 years old, lived in the town home for about eight years, he said.

Two other neighbors had tried to rescue the family, but were overcome by fumes and were also taken to the hospital with the woman and child.

"Crews went to the neighboring apartments and started searching for more victims in case the carbon monoxide was moving through the homes," Heiser said. "They did find several more victims that they managed to bring out and treat outside on the street."

The building was evacuated as a precaution and the Broward Sheriff's Office began investigating the death in conjunction with Wilton Manors.

From our media partner Sun Sentinel


Like us on Facebook

  • Latest Comments

BLOG COMMENTS POWERED BY DISQUS